BBO has support for Howell movements, with some limitations, for authorized TDs. BBO (firstname.lastname@example.org) must grant howell permission to a username before they can use the instructions below.
Please note that most virtual club accounts (such as vACBxxxxxx, vEBUxxxx, FFB, IBF, etc.) already have access to howell. If you are running a virtual club account, try it first and contact us only if it’s not working.
A clocked pair game that contains +howell+ in the tournament description will automatically be converted into a Howell upon tourney start. Set the movement to Clocked and type +howell+ in the tournament description.
- This can be used only for tournaments smaller than 20 tables.
- The tourney host ( not a TD, the host – the person who created the Tourney ) must be online at tourney start time.
- The system will use the total number of tables to guess at boards per round.
- You need to specify at least as many pairs as there are rounds or it will fail.
- Try to make tables a multiple of rounds. Example: 6 tables = 11 rounds. Specify 22 boards, 2 boards per round.
The tourney host ( not a TD, the host – the person who created the Tourney ) must be online at tourney start time
Those are the bare essentials. Note the following
When the tournament starts:
- The event will run as a single section Howell, limited to 40 pairs. If you have more than 40 pairs, the event will destroy itself and will not start.
- You will have as many rounds as needed for a full Howell. Rounds = NumTables * 2 – 1. So 8 tables will produce 15 rounds.
- You can override the number of rounds via the +rounds11+ description string detailed below
In addition, you can tweak the behaviour with the following strings in the description.
- If you want a partial howell, use +rounds7+ or +rounds12+ etc. Exactly like that. +rounds followed by a number followed by a + sign.
- If you want a break after round X, use +break5+ +break6+ etc.
- Default break duration is one hour.
- You can remove +break6+ from the description at any time to resume the tournament.
- You can have multiple breaks (caution, there are some known bugs there, if you try to edit breaks and break duration during an ongoing tournament).
- You can use +bduration=30+ +bduration=45+ etc to specify the break duration in minutes. Note the slightly different syntax.
For tournaments of exactly 18 boards +hm18+
- The string +hm18+ in conjunction with +howell+ (i.e. use +howell++hm18+) will automatically use either Howell or Mitchell.
- Number of boards in your tournament must be exactly 18
- Note: If Boards to Play is not set to 18, the tournament will run as a Howell.
- If the number of tables is 7 or higher, the movement will be Mitchell
- In this case, Boards per Round will be honored (i.e. if it is set to 2, you will get 9 rounds of 2 boards, which will generate a couple of revenge rounds if you end up with 7 tables!)
- If number of tables is 5 or 6, movement is Howell, 9 rounds, 2 boards per round
- If number of tables is 3 or 4, movement is Howell, 6 rounds, 3 boards per round
- Note that for 3 tables this generates a revenge round.
For comments, bug reports, other issues contact us at email@example.com